Keys To Receive The Holy Spirit
These keys for receiving the Holy Spirit are described in Mark Virkler’s book, “Overflow of the Spirit.” They are important for receiving the baptism in the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues, but also in our regular renewal or refilling of the Holy Spirit.
I believe also that these are important keys in praying for revival, community transformation and any personal breakthrough.
1. Believe. Hebrews 11:6 says “And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.” Whatever we are praying for we must believe that God is wanting to give it to us. We are not talking about weak belief here but a deep trusting heart conviction that God is good and He blesses those who come to Him.
2. Desire. Do you really want more of the Holy Spirit? Do you really want revival? Are these things sweeter to you than ice cream on a hot day? Are you desperate for God to move?
3. Ask. It’s not enough to say “If it’s God’s will He will do it.” He partners with us and expects us to intercede for that which is important to us. James 2:2-3 says, “You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure.” We have to ask and make sure that our asking is done with the motive to honour the Lord.
4. Unity with our brothers and sisters. We must ensure that there is no hint of contempt or even hostility and quarrelling with our christian brothers and sisters. God will not overflow in those who are at odds with His family. Confess this sin and seek the Lord’s forgiveness.
5. Yield. Every part of my will, body and mind must be submitted to God and to His purposes. I must set aside every personal ambition, pride, self-direction and totally surrender myself to God. To receive tongues I must yield my tongue, mouth and mind to Him. For other breakthroughs I must let go of my personal ambitions, expectations and judgements.